does it take more time to teach online?
I was recently asked by a colleague from another institution the following 2 questions.
- From your experience (both personal and working with other faculty), would you say that teaching online takes more time (simple answer requested here).
- Are you aware of research that indicates either more, the same, or less time is required to teach online.
- no. (I think that the design of the course can result in it taking more time- I think that level of online experience and training of the faculty factor into that). It should take no more time to teach online than f2f.
- some refs on all sides of the issue : )
- BRIDGES AND BARRIERS TO TEACHING ONLINE
- Teaching Online – A Time Comparison
- Journal of Interactive Online Learning –Frequency and Time Investment of Instructors’ Participation in Threaded Discussions in the Online Classroom
- DOES TEACHING ONLINE TAKE MORE TIME?
- The Benefits of Online Teaching for Traditional Classroom Pedagogy: A Case Study for Improving Face-to-Face Instruction